Monday, December 3, 2012

Oxygen Magazine covergirl!


My story...
Now we've all heard the big girl gets fit story which without a doubt are inspiring & I love hearing about them. Although my story is different. I'm the "skinny, insecure, depressed girl turns fit, happy & confident".
3 years ago I picked up my first copy of Oxygen Magazine. I had been exercising for about 6 months but didn't really know what I was doing. I was the typical cardio machine girl
. I had no idea that you shape & tone your body by doing strength training!

Age 24 - Before I started doing weights - obsessed with cardio & trying to be lean!

Inspiration...
I was looking through Oxygen Magazine at the amazing, fit, strong, shapely women & knew right then & there that that's who I wanted to be! I said to my partner Declan that I wanted to be fit & strong & be on the cover of Oxygen one day!
That year I entered the Oxygen cover model competition & was lucky enough to make it to the top 5! This was wonderful news for me as I'd only been doing weight training for around 6 months.
I then made it my ultimate goal to be on the cover!

Competing...
I competed in my first fitness competition on September last year. I did WNBF Figure & Fit Body & won both! This year I decided to compete in fitness model as I felt it suited me better. I'm all about being healthy & fit & thought that if I stuck to the fitness model category I'd be able to stay fit & healthy with a few little adjustments to my diet in the weeks leading up to it.
I did WNBF Best Body Swimsuit earlier this year & won!
I then did INBA Fitness Model & placed Second. I was very happy! I didn't have to deplete or do any hard dieting & it showed that you can do it the healthy way!

The person I used to be...
All through my childhood up until my mid 20's I have been insecure with who I was. I had no self belief & was depressed. I started modelling when I was about 15. It was something that I enjoyed but I just never thought I was good enough for any jobs. I wouldn't put myself forward for jobs & if I did I didn't expect to get them. If I was lucky enough to get a job I'd make excuses as to why they picked me. I could never just be happy that I got it & believe that I deserved it. I was a pessimist, always negative & always put myself down.
I didn't know who I was & I definitely wasn't comfortable or happy with the person I was. I could imagine how hard it must have been for others to be around such a negative person.

I was always worried about what others thought about me & constantly did things to make them happy even if it meant putting my own happiness aside!

Age 12 - unhappy & insecure
Age 15 - unhappy, insecure, skinny & depressed
Age 17 - unhappy, insecure & depressed



Age 22 - unhealthy, unfit & unhappy.

Making changes...
When my partner Declan & I got together nearly 3 years ago he woke me up to a lot things! I started implementing changes in my life. If I didn't like something I'd change it, if I couldn't change it I accepted it & stopped wasting time worrying about it. I learnt to make the most of the life I have & appreciate the things I do have rather than focusing on what I don't!
I was in search of perfection before but it doesn't exist so it was a vicious cycle of disappointment. It's not about being perfect, it's about being the best you can be!

In order to overcome & fix being the way I was I had to realise & admit what I was doing & that I was sabotaging myself & any chance I had of being happy.


I had to make a lot of changes & these changes took time & deliberate effort. Every day I would work hard to not go back to the person I used to be. If I started thinking negatively I'd stop myself quick smart. Every time I doubted myself I'd tell myself I am good enough & I am more than capable - I still do this now! I replaced negative thoughts with positive thoughts. Some days I'd be great & other days I would find myself drifting back to how I used to be, but I kept at it, working on changing the way I thought, what I thought of myself & being more positive. Over time it became easier & it now happens naturally! Sure I sometimes slip up - I am human after all but it is easier now & I control my thoughts which then controls my feelings & actions.

Today...
My active lifestyle is not only about my body & being fit, it's just as much about my mind! I feel set free from the person I was previously. I was no longer preventing myself from living the best life possible.
I feel like a completely different person now! I am healthy, strong mentally & physically, I'm confident, I have self belief, I'm truly happy & I love myself for who I am! It's up to me to make my life the best life possible because I am worth it!


With my gorgeous boy!
My best friend, my love & my #1 support!





Age 27 - Healthy, fit & happy!
2012


Being an Oxygen Magazine Covergirl...
Being an Oxygen Magazine cover girl means so much more to me than being featured on the cover of my favorite magazine - it represents the changes I have made & the work I put in to transform myself into not only a fit, healthy person but a happy person who accepts & loves who they are! I really believed I could do it, I put in the hard work & I DID IT! ;)


                                    DREAM - BELIEVE - COMMIT - ACHIEVE!


To purchase a personally signed copy email: emily@emilyskye.com
With amazing photographer Dallas & beautiful Lindy Olsen at my Oxygen Shoot!

Behind the scenes at my Oxygen shoot!

I had so much fun shooting with Dallas!
With gorgeous friend & Oxygen ambassador Justine Switalla!
- I'm on the cover & Justine is inside the mag! :)


Thank you...

Thank you Oxygen Magazine for featuring me on the cover of your awesome magazine!
Thank you Lindy Olsen for all your tips & guidance along the way! I took everything you said on board & they worked!
Thanks Dallas Olsen for the awesome shots! You are so great to work with, give direction easily & produce incredible photographs! You rock!

Thank you so much to everyone online who has been so supportive of me & everything I do on; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & email email Your support doesn't go unnoticed!

My beautiful friends & family! Thank you for always being there for me & loving me no matter what! I love you!

A MASSIVE thank you to my beautiful man & my best friend Declan - You not only support me in everything I do but you believed in me even before I believed in myself! You gave me the wake up call I needed, pushed me in the right direction & continued to love me through everything. I love you more & more every day! X Em


   Having genuine, supportive people in your life is so important! :)






3 comments:

  1. Emily, you are an absolute inspiration to me. I'm 24 and have been sporty and active all my life but have fought psychological battles with my body and image since leaving school. I have started clean eating, boot camp and weight training over the last 12 weeks and have seen dramatic results. My goals are set high and I have never been more motivated to achieve them. Congratulations on all your success and I wish you the absolute best with everything you do! Thank you for your contagious smile and enthusiasm which undoubtedly strengthens my motivation and determination to one day be as happy as you.
    X

    ReplyDelete